boosters of the big blue band

Boosters of Big Blue Band

 The Big Blue Band Booster Club is founded on the belief that music is an essential element in     the human experience and that participation in the combined Band program offers motivation, challenge, reward and a lifetime of satisfaction. In addition, Band participation fosters the development of mature, responsible young adults.


The primary purpose of the Band Boosters is to assist the Director of Bands in the development   of excellence in music education, performance skills, and leadership in our students. The Band Booster Club accomplishes this by providing financial, logistical, and moral support in a balanced fashion for all these programs and the students who participate in them.


Please contact booster members directly by email:



610 S. Cleveland Street

PMB # 437  

Enid, Oklahoma 73703


TheVisionSeeker of Enid High School

The Vision Seeker

In 1998, a monument dedicated to the "Plainsmen" was unveiled at the north entrance of the school building.

The monument was to be known as "The Vision Seeker", and was an 800-pound bronze sculpture, created by another Enid student, "Harold Holden" (Class of 1958).

TheVisionSeeker of Enid High School"The Vision Seeker is a native American Plains Indian in full headdress, sitting cross-legged while looking into the distance as he ponders a vision."

"The Vision Seeker captures the essense and image of the Plainsmen, and is a work of art that speaks to the soul as it ties past, present and future graduates to a visual spirit symbol, that unifies us all as Plainsmen"

From EHS Alumni Quill, 2003.…

Enid High School Plainsmen Logo

History and Humble Beginnings of Enid High School




The History of Enid High School (from Wikipedia and other sources):

Enid High School began as a tent school in the Cherokee Strip shortly after the land run in 1893, operating out of various locations throughout Enid including an opera house and a Baptist church. First graduating class was 1898, with 2 students. 

Between 1906 and 1912, classes took place in the "old" Lincoln school, now long-demolished, at 600 North Independence.   By February 1912, the high school's current building was constructed.   The southeast wing was built in 1920 and  added  twelve  classrooms and a large cafeteria. That building housed the high school from 1920 until September 3, 1943, when it was ravaged by fire.

Due to WWII, the school could not be immediately rebuilt after the fire.  From 1943 to 1948, the school was divided, with students sharing buildings with other schools.  After WWII was over, the first part of the school opened in 1948. 

The gymasium was completed in 1950.  The auditorium was completed in 1955. Nine additional classrooms, and a conference room were opened in 1961.  In 1965, another 6 classrooms were completed and opened for use.  In 1991, the new "Margaret Buvinger" music building was opened.

EHS was accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1911, and holds the distinction of being the second high school in Oklahoma to be accredited by the organization.   Enid High operated as a segregated school district from 1896 to 1959 with black children attending Booker T. Washington, Douglass and George Washington Carver


Why is Enid known as the "Plainsmen"?:

The "Plainsmen" logo and mascot was created  in 1928.  It was created by a former Enid student, who submitted his ideas to a school wide competition for mascot selection.  According to the student, "Elvin Ishmael", he chose the "Plainsmen" because the area around Enid was known as the "plains";

The  perseverance of the early Plainsmen  and their fighting spirit against all obstacles hindering their progress suggest  to me the spirit of Enid High School. The Plainsmen were known far and wide for their high sense of sportsmanship, and this is also true of the teams of Enid High School.”

In the 1940's, the symbol changed from a "plans man" to a "plains indian".