History and Humble Beginnings of Enid High School

 

 

 

The History of Enid High School (from Wikipedia and other sources):

Enid High School began as a tent school in the Cherokee Strip shortly after the land run in 1893, operating out of various locations throughout Enid including an opera house and a Baptist church. First graduating class was 1898, with 2 students. 

Between 1906 and 1912, classes took place in the "old" Lincoln school, now long-demolished, at 600 North Independence.   By February 1912, the high school's current building was constructed.   The southeast wing was built in 1920 and  added  twelve  classrooms and a large cafeteria. That building housed the high school from 1920 until September 3, 1943, when it was ravaged by fire.

Due to WWII, the school could not be immediately rebuilt after the fire.  From 1943 to 1948, the school was divided, with students sharing buildings with other schools.  After WWII was over, the first part of the school opened in 1948. 

The gymasium was completed in 1950.  The auditorium was completed in 1955. Nine additional classrooms, and a conference room were opened in 1961.  In 1965, another 6 classrooms were completed and opened for use.  In 1991, the new "Margaret Buvinger" music building was opened.

EHS was accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1911, and holds the distinction of being the second high school in Oklahoma to be accredited by the organization.   Enid High operated as a segregated school district from 1896 to 1959 with black children attending Booker T. Washington, Douglass and George Washington Carver

 

Why is Enid known as the "Plainsmen"?:

The "Plainsmen" logo and mascot was created  in 1928.  It was created by a former Enid student, who submitted his ideas to a school wide competition for mascot selection.  According to the student, "Elvin Ishmael", he chose the "Plainsmen" because the area around Enid was known as the "plains";

The  perseverance of the early Plainsmen  and their fighting spirit against all obstacles hindering their progress suggest  to me the spirit of Enid High School. The Plainsmen were known far and wide for their high sense of sportsmanship, and this is also true of the teams of Enid High School.”

In the 1940's, the symbol changed from a "plans man" to a "plains indian". 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *